What’s Happening at MASI this Week: June 7, 2013
This week has been another busy one at the Institute. Our professors are travelling, and Fr Peter flew out for some meetings in the United States. Fr Alexander was in Toronto last week, participating in meetings with the eparchial clergy. His term as director began officially on the first of the month.
This has been a week of beginnings, but also a week of mourning. As you are aware, our Institute is dealing with the death of Basil Onuferko, son of Fr Andrij and Marijka Onuferko. Funeral plans as well as an obituary are available on our website. We remembered the entire Onuferko at our weekly liturgy on Wednesday and had a panakhyda (certainly the first of several) for Basil’s repose. Please join us in prayer during this difficult time!
Fr Alexander Participates in Eparchial Clergy Conference
On Thursday May 30th the clergy of the Eparchy of Toronto and Eastern Canada gathered for one of their tri-annual clergy conferences. This trimester’s conference occurred at the Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Transfiguration in Kitchener, Ontario. These conferences involve continuing education, eparchial business, and other relevant presentations for clergy and their parishes. Fr Alexander was given an opportunity to speak to the clergy as part of the continuing education portion, providing a presentation on recent literature for clergy and faithful, especially related to the 1025th anniversary of the baptism of Kyivan-Rus’. Other speakers included Mr Pavlo Grod, president of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress (KYK) and Rev Dr Myroslaw Tataryn, professor at St Jerome’s University.
MASI Professor Presents Paper at Orthodox-Catholic Dialogue
On June 4, Fr. Peter Galadza presented a paper, “Official Catholic Pronouncements Regarding Presbyteral Celibacy: Their Fate and the Implications for Catholic-Orthodox Relations” at the semi-annual meeting of the North-American Orthodox Catholic Theological Consultation. The Consultation met at St. Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary in Crestwood NY. It is the longest running Dialogue between Orthodox and Catholics in the world. It has been meeting since 1965. On the Catholic side, the Dialogue is sponsored by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops. Fr. Peter is one of two Canadian members, and has been on the Dialogue since 1997.
Upcoming Events at MASI
- Saturday June 8, 7 pm: Farewell event for Fr Stephen and Maria Wojcichowsky, St John the Baptist Shrine
- Wednesday June 12, 12:00: Divine Liturgy, Sts Joachim and Anna Chapel
- Thursday June 13, 8:00: Matins, Sts Joachim and Anna Chapel
- Thursday June 13, 12:00: Divine Liturgy, Sts Joachim and Anna Chapel
- Thursday June 13, 7:30: Panachyda for Vasyl’ Onuferko, McEvoy-Shields Funeral Home and Chapel, 1411 Hunt Club Rd, Ottawa
- Friday June 14, 11:00: Divine Liturgy, Sts Joachim and Anna Chapel
- Friday June 14, 7:00: Parastas for Vasyl’ Onuferko, McEvoy-Shields Funeral Home and Chapel, 1411 Hunt Club Road, Ottawa
- Saturday June 15, 10:00: Funeral for Vasyl’ Onuferko, St John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Shrine, 952 Green Valley Crescent, Ottawa
- July 5-7: MASI Study Days, Edmonton, Alberta